ShopSmart, the shopping magazine from the publisher of Consumer Reports, suggests now might be the ideal time to try on-line food shopping.
In a recent Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article, ShopSmart summarized key offerings from five national on-line food retail options. They all let you browse food categories as you would in store aisles or search by keyword or UPC. The trade-offs: Some sites require a minimum purchase, shipping fees can be steep and most offer only dry goods.
Here’s a quick summary:
- Amazon.com/Grocery: best for gourmet items.
- Netgrocer.com: best for frozen foods and some fresh produce.
- MyBrands.com: best for hard-to-find items not available in most regular stores.
- ShopFoodEx.com: best for shopping aisle by aisle like a regular supermarket.
- Walmart.com/cp/Food/976759: best for low prices.